Monday, October 26, 2009

Vanity Search

I half expected not to find anything interesting when I did a vanity search in Google. As I expected there really wasn't anything. First I typed in "Whitney Wells, Washington." Nothing came up on the first or second page. Then I tried narrowing it down by adding my middle name "Ann." On the second page I learned that my MySpace page was on there. So then I narrowed it down even more by typing in "Whitney Ann Wells, Burien." My MySpace page was the second option on the first page. The further I scrolled down I realized that there were names of people I knew on MySpace. Underneath their name it listed off friends of theirs and mine was one of them bolded.

This was interesting to me that the search not only brought up my page, but friends that I knew that could lead someone to my page. I was a little surprised however, that my Facebook page did not pop up. I haven't utilized my MySpace account for a month, maybe even a year now, but I am on Facebook a couple times a week. I don't do much online so it doesn't shock me that I only have one thing that shows up. Especially because I would rather not have personal information spewed out on the internet.

Just for fun, I searched my parents and the one for my mom showed a high school reunion site three links down on the first page. My father's name did not produce any results on the first page, which surprises me more than my mother because he works for Boeing and is an active employee in the company. This assignment would be more fun if my parents and I were more popular online - haha - but it still is cool to know what is out there about oneself.

1 comment:

  1. I have a question:
    When you did the vanity search... Did you notice that your myspace comments also showed up on the page?
    - When I did mine, I noticed that under my Myspace page link there were links to comments that I have made in the past which was very frightening to me.

    ReplyDelete